Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Game 8: Ducks at Flyers 10.21.10



Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket


OPINION:
In a game where the Ducks were desperate to get their first win on the road, being 0-4-0 on the road thus far, they found a way to win. They did everything they could, and pulled it out and won the game. They started fast in the first period with a quick goal to start the game on the right foot ( as opposed to their usual left foot starts ). They left that period ahead by a goal at 2-1.

Their second period got a little slopping, and they lost themselves a bit, but not enough to leave the period only in a tie game at 2-2. They entered the 3rd knowing they needed to pull out all the stops to get that winning goal, before overtime was needed. And then it happened. In a quick play of crashing the net, Getzlaf managed to squeek the puck past the Philadelphia goal crease. It had to be reviewed but the review showed very clearly that the puck did cross the line completely and the Ducks were credited with the goal, which would be the game winning goal.

It wasn't easy, and I don't think anyone thought it would be, but they managed to hang in there and walk away with the victory. Their next stop on Saturday is at the same arena they started their season in. Eveyone say it with me-- the always unfriendly Joe Louis Arena. I really don't have high expectations on this one, just given their experiences in that building, but hey... if they want to prove my expectations could be higher, I welcome it.

POST GAME QUOTES:
"The initial shot, he stopped with his stick and I was able to get another swipe at it," Getzlaf said. "I saw it go in, and judging from my reaction, you could tell. It was one of those things where we caught a break at the end. It was a big relief for us. We've been working pretty hard and not necessarily getting the bounces, so this helps."

"It doesn't matter how it goes in," Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle said. "It went in. I don't care if it was an end-to-end rush, a fluke from center, whatever it is. We're desperate for wins. We found a way to get the job done."

"When he shot the puck I tried to stop it, but it slid right by me," said the 22-year-old rookie [McElhinney], who made his fourth start. "The team lost and I feel like it's my fault. I have to play better. We must win the game."

"It felt great," [McElhinney] said. "There were some nerves early on, and a couple of rebounds that got away from me. As the game went on, I felt more comfortable. Everybody collapsed well and did a tremendous job in front of me. It was an all-around great effort from everybody."

Source for Quotes: ducks.nhl.com

PHOTO OF THE GAME:


PHILADELPHIA - OCTOBER 21: Sergei Bobrovsky #35 of the Philadelphia Flyers surrenders a first period goal against the Anaheim Ducks as teammates Chris Pronger #20 and Matt Carle #25 look on on October 21, 2010 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

No comments: